“My air conditioner just doesn’t seem to be working like it used to, is it worthwhile to repair it or should I consider replacing the entire system?” This is a question we receive quite often as the cooling season approaches and it’s a common concern for lots of homeowners in our area. While there’s not one concrete answer, there are lots of things to consider and we’re breaking them down for you, below:
While age is often a strong consideration when it comes to whether or not you should replace your air conditioning system, we feel that efficiency is a better determining factor. Even if your system is 10 years old, but it was an efficient system when you bought it, it could still consume less energy than a new low-end system would.
Assess the efficiency of your current system and take this into account when shopping around for a new one. Keep in mind that efficiency is based off of the SEER system, with higher SEER ratings being more efficient.
Even if you upgrade to the best system on the market, if your ducts aren’t in great condition you won’t be saving any money in the long run. It’s important to make sure all of the equipment is in good shape before jumping to any conclusions.
If your current system was never sized according your home’s square footage, and there’s an issue with its performance, we recommend upgrading to a new system. Have an expert HVAC specialist help you decide on a system based on a load calculation. This will make sure you’re not wasting money on a system that’s too big or too small.
There is no reason to wait long to get your air conditioner fixed, or to try to do it yourself. Instead of taking risks with your AC, we encourage you to come to us for help. Call on the experts at Rusk Heating & Cooling today at 859-431-4040.
Staying cool can be expensive, we all know that. But quite frankly, it doesn’t have to be. There are lots of ways you can cut cooling costs by making a few simple changes around your home. While there are lots of things you might already be doing, like cleaning your air filter regularly, there are others, like changing your light bulbs, that may not be so intuitive.
1. Switch out your old light bulbs. Why? Traditional incandescent bulbs give off lots of heat which in turn, makes your home feel much warmer than it needs to. Replacing them with CFLs or LEDs, which give off virtually no heat, will give your home’s cooling system a much-needed rest.
2. Upgrade to a programmable thermostat. Why? If you’re still walking over to change the temperature manually, you’re wasting lots of time and energy. A programmable thermostat allows you to set the temperature for various times of the day or week so you don’t have to remember to change it by hand later on.
3. Find and fix leaky ducts. Why? If cool air is escaping through cracks or gaps in the ducts, it’s not making it to the areas of your home that need it most. You can use aluminum foil tape as a temporary solution, but we highly recommend having them fixed or replaced by an expert.
4. Utilize blinds or shades during the day. Why? The sun’s penetrating rays can heat your home 10 – 20 degrees in as little as eight hours. Keep the blinds closed during the day and you’ll come home to a much cooler house.
5. Use nature to your advantage. Why? Not only is it vital to shade the inside of your home using blinds, it’s also important to keep the outside areas shaded as well. Use leafy trees and bushes to block direct sunlight from beating down on the roof and windows.
We are experienced at handling air conditioning systems, so you can rest assured that we can fix nearly any problem. In fact, our repairs are 100% guaranteed, which should give you some peace of mind. Call on the experts at Rusk Heating & Cooling should your air conditioning system fail you this season.
Tired of hiring contractors and technicians that just aren’t working up to your standards? We don’t blame you. There are tons of companies out there that simply don’t strive to meet the needs of their customers and that’s not good for anyone. When you choose Rusk Heating & Cooling, you won’t have to worry because we hold onto a tradition of quality service that dates back over 150 years.
Steve Morrison, our owner and president said it best, “I take a personal interest in every job. Your comfort and satisfaction is my top priority. Every home has different heating and cooling issues. Rusk Heating and Cooling has the experience and expertise to find the right solution for your home and budget. “
Our Commitment To You
We have a tradition of meeting customer needs. From the most complex installation to routine service and maintenance, Rusk has the tools, the people and the products to provide a home comfort system that fits your lifestyle and budget.
On top of that, we won the Best of Covington Award for 2015 for the Heating Contractors & Specialties category by the Covington Award Program.
Each year, the Covington Award Program identifies companies that they believe have achieved exceptional marketing success in their local community and business category. These are local companies that enhance the positive image of small business through service to their customers and our community. These exceptional companies help make the Covington area a great place to live, work and play.
So, what are you waiting for? Don’t hire another company that’s not going to live up to your expectations. Call on the experts at Rusk Heating & Cooling today!
Picture this: you wake up one warm spring or summer morning only to find out that your home’s air conditioning system has malfunctioned. There’s never a good time for your A/C to give out, especially when temperatures are expected to rise each day for the rest of the week. But there’s no need to sweat, because you have the expert A/C repair specialists at Rusk Heating & Cooling on your side. Find out how we can help, below:
Fast and Friendly Service
At Rusk, we strive to get your HVAC problems solved as quickly and as efficiently as possible because we know there’s not much time to waste. So, what does it take to get your issue fixed right away? It starts with the right technician. Our techs are put through rigorous training programs so you can rest assured knowing they have the skills and expertise needed to solve just about any A/C problem. On top of that, we offer 24/7 emergency services because we know that things don’t always happen at opportune times.
Repairs are 100% Guaranteed
Worried that our techs won’t be able to fix your problem correctly? Don’t be. Our repairs are 100% guaranteed, which should give you some peace of mind. In addition to that, we offer flexible financing options with approved credit and an open line of credit so you don’t have to worry about how you’re going to pay for the cost of the repair.
Additional Air Conditioning Services:
- Complete analysis of your current system
- New system installation and repair
- Preventative maintenance
- Flexible financing options
There is no reason to wait long to get your air conditioner fixed, or to try to do it yourself. Instead of taking risks with your AC, we encourage you to come to the experts at Rusk Heating & Cooling for help. Call us today at 859-431-4040 and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook!
You wouldn’t go months on end without vacuuming your floors or cleaning the bathroom, right? So why would you go so long without giving your home’s HVAC system a little attention? Now that temperatures are warming up and spring is here to stay, you’re going to be flipping your thermostat from “heat” to “cool” in no time. Here’s what you need to do in order to get your A/C system ready for the season:
- Turn off the power to the system and then head outside to inspect the outdoor unit. Get rid of dirt and debris that may have collected over the winter. We recommend removing the cage or fan grill and then using a wet/dry vacuum to suck up leaves and anything else that may have gotten in there.
- Spray off the fins with a garden hose. You may want to use a sprayer nozzle to blast out dirt that has built up over the off-season. Just refrain from using a pressure washer as it could damage the fins or other parts of the system.
- Take a look around the outside of the unit. Keep in mind that at least 3 feet of space should be kept clear so rake away leaves and sticks and cut back shrubbery that has grown too large.
- Once the outside is cleaned, you can head back inside to clean or replace the filter. Remember that most of the air you’ll be breathing in this season passes through the filter so you’ll want to make sure it’s spick and span.
If you haven’t done so already, we highly suggest a professional tune-up. The experts at Rusk Heating & Cooling will help extend the life of your equipment and make sure you’ve got comfort when you need it. Call us today at 859-431-4040 to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook.
What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “pollution?” You probably think about automobiles, smog, or airborne chemicals outside, right? Well, did you know that the air inside your very own home could actually be more contaminated than the air outdoors? Find out how you can get rid of toxic chemicals and allergens in your home, naturally.
- Keep Your Floors Clean: break out the broom, fire up the vacuum or get the mop in motion. It’s vital to keep your floors free of dust and dirt and all of the other harmful things that land on them. We recommend giving your floor some attention at least twice a week.
- Ventilate Daily: open up your windows on nice days to allow fresh air to come in and toxic air to escape. Remember to turn on exhaust fans while cooking and bathing and allow them to run for at least 15 minutes after you’re done.
- Replace Furnace and A/C Filters Regularly: after all, most of the air you breathe passes through these filters before it goes into your lungs so it’s important to keep them clean. Not to mention, it will help make your equipment last longer and run more efficiently.
- Consider an Indoor Air Quality Solution: managing your indoor air quality can be a complex task. Indoor air quality is a three-sided battle: Filtration (removal of particulates from air flowing through heating and air conditioning equipment), Humidity (important for respiratory comfort, furniture and artwork preservation) and Infiltration (air that leaks into your house in an uncontrolled manner). An indoor air quality solution should address all three of these areas.
We offer a variety of products and solutions designed to fit your budget and improve the quality of the air inside your home.
Simply call Rusk Heating & Cooling for a FREE Indoor Air Quality Proposal. We will customize an air quality solution to make your home as clean and healthy as it can be, so you can breathe easier.
Having trouble keeping your home comfortable without spending a fortune on energy bills? You’re not alone. With the unstable climate we have here in the Ohio area, temperatures can change rather quickly and that means turning to your thermostat quite often. But there’s no need to panic, ductless heating and air conditioning systems offer the perfect solution. Learn more about them below:
With spring in full effect, we all know summer is right around the corner and it can get hot in our area. This year, don’t get stuck in the heat – consider going ductless.
Instead of investing thousands of dollars in construction and product costs, you can call us to create or update the ductwork in your building quickly and easily. We will specially tailor a plan that meets your needs, space, and budget, and ensure that you experience relief from the summer heat as quickly as possible.
Ductless AC systems provide many unique benefits including:
- Easy installation
- Simple maintenance
- Quiet operation
- Simple control
- Attractive and efficient design
Best of all? We offer free initial consultations for installations as well as special financing options for your convenience.
In Cincinnati, OH, ductless air conditioning system installations and repairs from Rusk Heating & Cooling keep the community cool and comfortable all year-round. Call us today to schedule your free consultation or for more information about our services.
With spring just about in full swing and with temperatures on the rise, it’s just about safe to say you can turn your home’s heating system off. We’re welcoming warmer weather and longer days with open arms and that means you can give your wallet and your furnace a much-needed rest. See below for a few steps in order to properly shut down your furnace this season:
- In order to save on utility bills, consider switching off the pilot light. Simply locate the gas valve that leads to the furnace and turn the lever or handle until it forms a 90° angle with the pipe.
- Clean or replace the filter so you don’t have to do so when temperatures drop down again later this year. It’s important to find out which type of filter your furnace uses to make sure you’re purchasing the correct replacement.
- Take this opportunity to check on your carbon dioxide and smoke detectors. It is however, especially important to inspect the CO alarm and look for small cracks or gaps in the combustion chamber of your unit.
- Tidy up the area around the furnace. Vacuum up dust and debris and make sure all other items are at least 3 feet away. This will help prevent potential fires and it’ll help make sure your equipment is working efficiently when you turn it back on in the fall.
Keep cool this spring and summer. Contact Rusk Heating & Cooling for all or your A/C service, repair and replacement needs. (859) 431-4040.
How do you plan to save every this spring and summer? Even though temperatures are still a bit chilly, we can assure you warmer weather will be here before you know it. That means it’s time to start thinking about your home’s cooling system and ways you can cut back on energy consumption in the upcoming months.
So, what’s the trick to conserving energy this year? The short answer: shade trees. Not only will planting trees in the right places conserve energy, they’ll help to fight climate change, too. Here’s what you need to know:
- Planting trees and shrubs around the west and northwest facing sections of your home will help provide protection against mid-to-late afternoon sun.
- Shading east – and west-facing windows can also help keep the sun’s warm rays out, but keep them pruned to prevent blocking the view.
- Consider plantings trees and bushes around patios, driveways and your outdoor air conditioning unit.
Benefits of Planting Shade Trees
- Can reduce spring and summer cooling costs by 35% or more.
- Use less energy for your home as well as your utility company.
- Consume less fossil fuel which means less carbon dioxide emissions.
- Help keep your air conditioning system running at peak performance.
It’s not fun to have a problem with your cooling system. You don’t want to think about it. You just expect to be cool and comfortable on hot summer days. That’s why Rusk Heating & Cooling is dedicated to assisting you when you need us most. Don’t forget about spring A/C maintenance – call us today at 859-431-4040 to schedule an appointment.
What are you doing to get your home ready for spring? With warmer temperatures on the horizon, there are lots of things you need to do right now to make sure your home is ready to take on the new season. After all, if you don’t start taking action now, you’ll start falling behind quite quickly.
- Store Away Storm Windows: now that winter’s harshest weather is behind us, we hope, you can go ahead and swap out your storm windows. We recommend covering and labeling them so you’ll know which window goes where when it’s time to bring them back out again.
- Clear The Deck: of snow and ice, that is. Use a plastic shovel to prevent scraping or scratching the wood and remove residual snow and ice. This will help prevent deck boards from becoming warped or split. You’ll be spending time out there again before you know it.
- Give Your Furnace Some Attention: clear out dust and debris with a vacuum by removing the access panels and filter. Once all is cleaned and clear, replace the filter with a new one.
- Clean Out The Dryer Vents: the National Protection Association reports about 15,520 home fires are associated with clothes dryers each year. Not only should you be cleaning out the lint screen, you should be detaching the duct from the back of the dryer and using a snake brush to remove flammable lint as well.
While you’re in the mindset, don’t forget to schedule an air conditioning maintenance appointment. You’ll be needing it in just a few short months and a routine inspection is the best way to ensure it’ll be ready when you are! Call the friendly HVAC specialists at Rusk Heating & Cooling today – 859-431-4040.