What are you doing to get your home ready for spring? With warmer temperatures on the horizon, there are lots of things you need to do right now to make sure your home is ready to take on the new season. After all, if you don’t start taking action now, you’ll start falling behind quite quickly.
- Store Away Storm Windows: now that winter’s harshest weather is behind us, we hope, you can go ahead and swap out your storm windows. We recommend covering and labeling them so you’ll know which window goes where when it’s time to bring them back out again.
- Clear The Deck: of snow and ice, that is. Use a plastic shovel to prevent scraping or scratching the wood and remove residual snow and ice. This will help prevent deck boards from becoming warped or split. You’ll be spending time out there again before you know it.
- Give Your Furnace Some Attention: clear out dust and debris with a vacuum by removing the access panels and filter. Once all is cleaned and clear, replace the filter with a new one.
- Clean Out The Dryer Vents: the National Protection Association reports about 15,520 home fires are associated with clothes dryers each year. Not only should you be cleaning out the lint screen, you should be detaching the duct from the back of the dryer and using a snake brush to remove flammable lint as well.
Additional Tasks To Tackle:
- Vacuum registers and heating and cooling vents.
- Remove shrubbery, sticks and other debris from around the outside of your air conditioning unit.
- Start organizing closets and storage areas to make room for heavier winter bedding (down comforters, flannel sheets and blankets).
- Clean window screens so you can enjoy fresh, clean air when temperatures begin to warm up.
While you’re in the mindset, don’t forget to schedule an air conditioning maintenance appointment. You’ll be needing it in just a few short months and a routine inspection is the best way to ensure it’ll be ready when you are! Call the friendly HVAC specialists at Rusk Heating & Cooling today.