These are difficult days to stay cool, especially in the Midwest heat. The summer temperatures are reaching new levels, and so is your air conditioning bill. Rusk Heating & Cooling discusses the best ways to increase the efficiency of an air conditioning unit in your home. There are some simple things you can do to help your air conditioner run at maximum efficiency for improved cooling comfort and additional solutions if your home’s AC could use a boost.
How to Increase AC Cooling in Room Areas
If you want to learn how to increase AC cooling in room areas throughout your home, improving cooling system efficiency is the best place to start. Inefficiencies can cause your air conditioner to overwork, overheat, break down, and generally not keep your home comfortable. Boosting the system across the board is a good solution for increasing AC cooling in rooms in any part of the house.
Here are some of our favorite ways to stay cool in your home this summer:
- Vacuum or clean vents and registers regularly to eliminate potential airflow blockages.
- Keep all vents and registers in the house open and unblocked rather than closing them in unused areas – closing vents can actually harm the performance of your AC unit.
- Check your filter each month and change it when needed, as filters can become clogged more frequently with heavy cooling systems usage this time of year.
- Clean your outdoor condenser unit regularly to eliminate buildup that can block airflow through the AC unit and hamper efficiency.
- Seal air leaks around your home and in your duct system to ensure the cool air your air conditioner produces stays inside your rooms for your enjoyment.
- Prevent heat gain in the house, which raises the workload for your AC unit. Cover windows during daylight hours, turn off unneeded lighting and limit the use of heat and moisture-producing activities such as cooking or showering until after the sun goes down.
- Keep the air conditioner’s drain line clear of clogs. Clogs can cause moisture to back up into the unit, reducing energy efficiency and even leading to water damage.
- Schedule a professional maintenance tune-up for your cooling unit to ensure all parts are working correctly, and the system can run at top efficiency levels.
- Adjust ceiling fans to rotate counterclockwise and use them to produce a windchill effect in occupied rooms. This will help you and your loved ones stay more comfortable even at higher temperatures.
- Resolve AC system problems at the first sign of trouble, as many air conditioner issues directly affect system efficiency.
Ductless Systems for Added Cooling
Another method to increase cooling in certain rooms is installing a ductless mini-split system. Ductless mini-splits offer efficient room cooling that can be used as a stand-alone cooling solution or provide supplemental cooling alongside central cooling systems.
When installing a ductless system, indoor air handling equipment can be installed in one or more rooms or areas of the home to provide additional cooling. Each air handler is controlled separately from others and your central cooling system, which allows you to supplement cooling in areas where the primary system struggles. The targeted cooling provided by a ductless system is one great solution for increasing cooling in rooms that aren’t as comfortable as other spaces in the house.
Contact Rusk to Improve Cooling Comfort Today
Rusk Heating & Cooling offers several professional solutions for how to increase AC cooling in specific rooms throughout your home. Our HVAC system repair and maintenance services increase your cooling unit’s efficiency for optimal performance. We also install ductless systems if you feel your air conditioner could use some help keeping your family cool this summer. Call us today to learn more about these great options!