Summer has finally arrived, and with it comes the increased demand for air conditioning in your home. Though it can be a lifesaver during the hot days of summer, air conditioning can also be a significant expense. Rusk Heating & Cooling shares some tips on using air conditioners economically to save on cooling costs this season.
Premier Air Conditioner Services from Rusk Heating & Cooling
When it comes to knowing how to use an air conditioner economically and save on your electricity bill, it certainly helps to have the right HVAC pro on your side. Services from Rusk Heating & Cooling improve your air conditioner’s energy efficiency and help it operate more cost-effectively throughout the season.
Our team offers repairs, maintenance, and even indoor air quality services to help you cut your cooling bills!
How to Use Air Conditioners Economically This Summer
Saving money on your electricity bills is as easy as following a few simple tips, including:
Replacing Dirty Air Filters
By checking your air filter each month and replacing it as needed, you can ensure proper air movement through your air conditioner. The system will not waste energy trying to move air through a clogged filter, which can lead to increased wear and tear.
Preserving Cool Air
Try not to produce excess heat in the home during peak hours. Cook outside whenever possible and save hot water use for the early or late hours; this limits the amount of work your air conditioner must do.
Installing a Dehumidifier
Keeping indoor relative humidity levels balanced can make you feel more comfortable at slightly higher temperatures, so you don’t have to run the air conditioner as often. Install a whole-home dehumidifier to remove airborne moisture from your home.
Closing vents in unused areas will not save you money on your cooling bill. When you close vents in new areas and restrict airflow, you’re forcing your AC unit to work harder than it needs to, and you’ll wind up spending more money on your bill. The air conditioner is designed to supply all areas with cooling efficiently.
Keeping Windows Covered
Another way to use an air conditioner economically is to close window coverings during daytime hours to avoid direct sunlight. Doing that will prevent solar heat gain in rooms and help keep your home’s interior cooler. Your air conditioner won’t have to work extra to cool your room back down by limiting solar heat gain.
Additional Tips to Save Money on AC
When you are trying to get the most out of your air conditioner, follow these additional tips! They are easy to follow and a sure-fire way to cut down on excess cooling costs.
- It’s essential to have your air conditioner serviced each year. Regular maintenance will help keep your system running efficiently and will help prevent costly repairs down the road.
- Ceiling fans can help make you more comfortable while using less energy. Set them to spin counterclockwise in occupied rooms, creating a wind-chill cooling effect.
- Set the thermostat’s temperature back 3 to 5 degrees or more when leaving the house to conserve energy.
- Switch to a smart thermostat. These thermostats can automatically make temperature adjustments that are the most efficient for your schedule and lifestyle, so you never have to worry about being wasteful. You can re-set your thermostat to your desired temperature to save time and money on your energy bills.
- Don’t turn the thermostat down extremely low to cool the indoor temperature of your house quickly. It doesn’t work, and you’re likely to forget about it and waste energy.
- Keep your outdoor unit free of debris to prevent blockages that limit airflow to optimize your air conditioner effectively.
- Seal air leaks around the home to help hold cool air in and avoid cold air losses that your air conditioner must make up for.
Why Work with Rusk Heating & Cooling?
As a homeowner, you have many options when choosing an HVAC company. Unfortunately, not all HVAC companies are created equal.
At Rusk Heating & Cooling, we pride ourselves on our ability to stand head and shoulders above the competition, which we do with unrivaled customer service and a team that treats our customers like family. However, you don’t have to take our word for it; we have dozens of 5-star reviews that speak for themselves!
Stay Cool and Save Money
Air conditioners can be a considerable expense, but there are ways to use them more efficiently and save money on your cooling costs.
With a few simple tips, you can learn how to use an air conditioner economically and save money on your energy bill. Call Rusk Heating & Cooling for air conditioning services that help improve energy efficiency and lower your cooling expenses.